[INDOLOGY] Inability to see romanised (transliterated text with diacritics) Sanskrit in my emails.

Lubin, Tim LubinT at wlu.edu
Thu Apr 13 17:05:21 UTC 2017

Have you got a complete unicode compliant font installed on your machine?  (Most non-ancient computers do now.)  Some individuals still use non-Unicode fonts, which will not display properly if you do not have the same installed.  Does it always happen?  Example?

But it may also be your mail interface.  My Outlook mailer, for example, will replace every macron-a (ā) with a question mark — only that letter, not ī, ū, etc. — unless I include an underdot (or overdot) character in the message as well.  For this reason, I include one in my signature, in case I forget.

Timothy Lubin
Professor of Religion and Adjunct Professor of Law
Chair of the Department of Religion
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, Virginia 24450

http://home.wlu.edu/~lubint