Re: [INDOLOGY] kaṣāya

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Thu Apr 13 10:26:19 UTC 2017

Dear Dominik,

     This kind of double meaning of the word kaṣāya is also seen in the
Buddhist usage of the word kasāva/kāsāva.  For example, in the Pali verse
(Dhammapada 1.9) "anikkasāvo kāsāvaṃ yo vattham paridahessati / apeto
damasaccena na so kāsāvam arahati //" (One not free from defilements, who
dons a yellow robe, that one devoid of control and truth, is not worthy of
a yellow robe."  Here, there is a pun on the words kasāva/kāsāva, and it
shows the use of the word in the sense of a color of defilements as well as
the color of the Buddhist robe.

Madhav