[INDOLOGY] Two terms

Artur Karp karp at uw.edu.pl
Mon Sep 12 07:21:43 UTC 2016

Dear Michael,

DCS - Digital Corpus of Sanskrit notes two separate verses:

GarPur, 1, 2, 59.2
<http://kjc-sv013.kjc.uni-heidelberg.de/dcs/index.php?contents=texte&PhraseID=431156>
 *yakṣi *oṃuṃsvāhājāpī vidyayaṃ gāruḍī parā /

and

GarPur, 1, 19, 20.2
<http://kjc-sv013.kjc.uni-heidelberg.de/dcs/index.php?contents=texte&PhraseID=432877>
 oṃ *pakṣi* svāhā //

Sanskrit text (published by Chowkhamba Vidyabhavan, ed. by Shri Ramtej
Pandey) retains both, *yakṣi *and *pakṣi*.

Different contexts, though. *yakṣi mantra *seems to be related to reviving
burnt beings, *pakṣi mantra - *to curing from poisoning (relationship
between Garuda and serpents is obvious in this case).

Is the text really corrupt? I have my doubts.

Artur