[INDOLOGY] जन्मतो जायते शूद्रः

Jesse Knutson jknutson at hawaii.edu
Sun Sep 11 20:49:56 UTC 2016

Dear Indologists and Friends, A friend and colleague, Ramdas Lamb, has
drawn my attention to, and asked me about the source, of a half-verse,
which he has heard quoted a lot in Ramanandi circles in India.  He is doing
some very interesting ethnographic work on the evolution of this order, and
told me about several inter-caste, Vedic पाठशालाs they have recently
established, incorporating sometimes even dalits, women, and adivasis.  I
have a feeling one of you knows the source. Thanks for your time. भवदीयः,J

जन्मतो जायते शूद्रः संस्काराद्द्विज उच्यते

--
Jesse Ross Knutson PhD
Assistant Professor of Sanskrit and Bengali, Department of Indo-Pacific