[INDOLOGY] pAnIya and buDana

Vitus Angermeier vitus.angermeier at univie.ac.at
Wed Sep 7 07:45:05 UTC 2016

I came across one occurrence, where pānīya denotes water in which plants
grow: Ḍalhaṇa (12th cent.) - concerning Suśrutasaṃhitā 1.45.17 - glosses
parṇī with pānīyapṛṣṭhajā (a plant originating from the water surface).
Of course, this is not very early. A search with the Digital Corpus of
Sanskrit might bring about more occurrences.

Vitus Angermeier

--
Institut für Südasien-, Tibet- und Buddhismuskunde
Universität Wien