[INDOLOGY] Scribe Ganesha

HdGoswami hr at ivs.edu
Sun Sep 4 15:10:31 UTC 2016

We have all heard the popular story that Vyasa dictated the Mahabharata to his scribe Ganesha. This story does not appear in the critical text of the MBh, though it does appear in alternate readings that didn’t make it into the CE’s main text. I have access to a digital copy of the critical edition’s supplementary passages, but I cannot locate therein readings that describe Ganesha the scribe. Since Ganguly includes this Ganesh story in his translation somewhere around CE 1.1.56, I have been checking the Adi-parva alternative readings, but I can’t find the Ganesha story  either in the CE’s running list of shorter alternative readings for 1.1, or at the end where the CE gives longer supplementary passages.

I would appreciate any help in finding the alternative Sanskrit readings that give the Ganesha story.

For reference, here is Ganguly’s translation, roughly around 1.1.56 of the CE:

"Sauti said, 'Brahma having thus spoken to Vyasa, retired to his own abode. Then Vyasa began to call to mind Ganesa. And Ganesa, obviator of obstacles, ready to fulfil the desires of his votaries, was no sooner thought of, than he repaired to the place where Vyasa was seated. And when he had been saluted, and was seated, Vyasa addressed him thus, 'O guide of the Ganas! be thou the writer of the Bharata which I have formed in my imagination, and which I am about to repeat."
"Ganesa, upon hearing this address, thus answered, 'I will become the writer of thy work, provided my pen do not for a moment cease writing." And Vyasa said unto that divinity, 'Wherever there be anything thou dost not comprehend, cease to continue writing.' Ganesa having signified his assent, by repeating the word Om! proceeded to write; and Vyasa began; and by way of diversion, he knit the knots of composition exceeding close;"

Many thanks.
Howard