Re: [INDOLOGY] Translation of yaṣṭihastaya

Harry Spier hspier.muktabodha at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 18:05:56 UTC 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Corinna Wessels-Mevissen <corinnawessels at yahoo.de>
Date: Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 12:31 AM
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] Translation of yaṣṭihastaya
To: Harry Spier <hspier.muktabodha at gmail.com>

Hello Harry Spier,

I did my PhD on the early iconography of the aṣṭadikpālas (book is
available on Academia: https://www.academia.edu/3029535/The_Gods_of_the_
Directions_in_Ancient_India_Origin_and_Early_Development_
in_Art_and_Literature_until_c._1000_A.D._), and Vāyu is very often seen as
holding a flagstaff. This is in fact his most prominent attribute. As far
as I remember, *yaṣṭi* was not mentioned in those texts, but only dhvaja or
patākā, and the respective images show the god with a banner – mostly with
the flag portion being a long streamer.

Hope this helps somehow.

Corinna Wessels-Mevissen