[INDOLOGY] naagaraa

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 02:15:18 UTC 2016

It is used in some Indian languages like Telugu in the form of nagaaraa.

It is a drum only. It is a big/huge D shaped drum with the curve part of
the D shape downwards. The top part is the sounding part. Made to sound
with the help of two very big sticks.

Not a 'musical instrument' though. It was used on the terraces of fort
entrances its sound indicating several different announcements: exits and
entries of kings, victories of kings, beginnings of events in the fort etc.

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 3:24 AM, Greg Bailey <Greg.Bailey at latrobe.edu.au>
wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> A colleague who is not a member of the list asked about the meaning of the
> word n?gar??  Any help would be appreciated. I assume it might come from
> nagara, but to may relate to a musical instrument.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Greg Bailey
>

> "Is *naagaraa* a Sanskrit word? Is it used in any Sanskrit source? I
> cann't find it in either Monnier-Williams or Macdonnel.
>
> Curt Sachs reports it as a cognate for Urdu* naqqaara* (kettledrum) in
> his 1917 catalogue (in German) of musical instruments in Burma and Assam. I
> think he is mistaken."

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )