[INDOLOGY] naagaraa

Greg Bailey Greg.Bailey at latrobe.edu.au
Wed Oct 26 21:54:17 UTC 2016

Dear List,

A colleague who is not a member of the list asked about the meaning of the word n?gar??  Any help would be appreciated. I assume it might come from nagara, but to may relate to a musical instrument.

Thanks in advance,

Greg Bailey

"Is naagaraa a Sanskrit word? Is it used in any Sanskrit source? I cann't find it in either Monnier-Williams or Macdonnel.

Curt Sachs reports it as a cognate for Urdu naqqaara (kettledrum) in his 1917 catalogue (in German) of musical instruments in Burma and Assam. I think he is mistaken."