[INDOLOGY] Touching one's nose with the left index finger

rajam rajam at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 23 03:18:23 UTC 2016

Not sure if it would help, but there’s a reference in Old Tamil literature to women’s gossip around town about a woman’s relationship with a man. The reference is “mūkkin ucci cuṭṭu viral cērtti (மூக்கின் உச்சி சுட்டுவிரல் சேர்த்தி). Women talk about the relationship between an unmarried woman and a man, and their gesture is indicated by ‘touching the tip of their nose with their index finger.’

Recently, when I was watching a music event on YouTube where Prince Rama Varma was teaching a group of students he touched the tip of his nose with his index finger, perhaps to express ‘shame shame’ or something like that. I’d have to search for that video again.

So I guess it was a practice in the south.

Regards,
rajam