[INDOLOGY] Sexual Harassment

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 03:53:44 UTC 2016

Dear Prof. Artur Karp,

1. Since you raised the question of 'reception', which is very important
and crucial, let me tell you that why non-Shaivites? Shaivites

themselves do not receive Shivalinga as phallus or phallic symbol. One of
the extremely vibrant Shaivite tradition of South India is

Veerashaivism. Akka Mahadevi (12th Century AD), one of the
founding  key figures of this tradition, a woman-saint, who roamed nude,

sang vachanas composed by herself, says in one of her vachanas,

,"ಆಕಾರವಲ್ಲದ ನಿರಾಕಾರಲಿಂಗವ ಕೈಯಲ್ಲಿ ಹಿಡಿದು (ākāravallada nirākāraliṁgava
kaiyalli hiḍidu)"

(= holding in hand the Shivalinga which is formless )

This is a documentation of the 12th century AD Shaivite reception of
Shivalinga.

Writings by non-Shaivites reflecting their reception of Shivalinga are not
in contradiction to this.

2. Historians of the shape of Shivalinga noted that the lingas with  (what
they considered as ) 'naturalistic detail of a phallus' are the

Gudimallam and the Agra ones only. All the later Shivalingams 'lost' such
details , they noted.

3. iśṭalinga of Veerashaivites is an oval shaped stone worshipped by
holding in hand. bANalingas are also similar. There are numerous varieties
of shapes of Shivalinga including Mukhalingas. There are
jalalingas, ākās'alingas and vāyulingas too. Unless one goes with a
preconceived notion, the present widespread Shivalingas do not evoke the
phallic idea. No 'uneducated' Indian even knows that there are phallic
interpretations of Shivalinga.

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )