[INDOLOGY] R: warriors v soldiers

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 02:58:19 UTC 2016

Patrick,

I was able to see the table due to your offline help. I expected a
community-wise classification in the table.

In any case, it is common place knowledge among Indologists who studied
varNa and caste systems that varNa is, to a large extent, textual and what
is real is in fact caste. Kshatriya is a varNa category drawn from older
Sanskritic texts and used to attribute to individuals of several different
tribes and castes who took over roles similar to the ones enlisted as the
dharma of the Kshatriyas in the Sanskrit texts. The roles that these tribes
and castes took over range from the foot soldier to the emperor. In other
words, most of the kings, emperors, soldiers, military officials of all
ranks hailed from not the Kshatriya varNa but several different tribes and
castes.

Kshatriyization of tribes and castes, its role in the upward mobility of
tribes and castes, the concept of Sachchhudras floated during medieval
times to 'explain' the Brahma-Kshatriya behaviour and the Kshatriya roles
of different 'S'udra' communities, etc. are all beaten track among the
Indology and Indian history discussions.

I shall provide you specific examples and references, depending on your
purpose and question.

Since it is such a beaten track, many other members of the list may also be
able to help you.

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )