[INDOLOGY] Kalapattana, black men, and some medical terms

Martin Gansten martin.gansten at pbhome.se
Thu Oct 13 09:49:50 UTC 2016

Many thanks to Dagmar and Dominik Wujastyk for their replies so far. The
reference to /kṛṣṇān ... strīpuṃso/ in the Śārṅgadharasaṃhitā is
interesting. Perhaps I read too much into the expressions /asita-mānava/
and /kṛṣṇa-manuja/ in the Hāyanasundara.

> So, here the difference is between vomiting as a reaction to poisoning
> and vomiting as a disease category (chardi is used in the latter sense
> in the Śārṅgadharasaṃhitā). My impression (this was a very quick look)
> is that/vānti /and/chardi/ otherwise are interchangeable.

Thank you. I'm still not sure what /bhavati ... chardir apy eti vāntim/
is meant to convey; I'll have to think about it. Any further suggestions
are most welcome.

> Re kāsapittātisāra: it should divide into kāsa (cough - there are
> different kinds of kāsa, it's a category of disease) and pittātisāra,
> flux caused by pitta (one of three humoral substances, or doṣas).

Is pittātisāra normally found in the plural? And is the condition
considered to cause stomach pain? (/Bhavati jaṭharaśūlaṃ
kāsapittātisārai[ḥ]/.)

> Then, it should be pittakāmalā, kāmalā (something like jaundice)
> caused by pitta.

Right. The form used in the text is kāmala (as required by the metre).
But I am not sure about dadrutā (leprosy?). If pittakāmala is one
condition, and dadrutā another, one would have expected the dual (-te),
but the witnesses all read -tā or -tāḥ. On the other hand, the text is
often somewhat ungrammatical (but syntactically rather than
morphologically).

Best wishes,
Martin