[INDOLOGY] Kalapattana, black men, and some medical terms

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 15:16:33 UTC 2016

In the chapter of the medical *Śārṅgadharasaṃhitā* about prognostication
from dreams (śubhāśubhasvapnaparīkṣā), dreams about black people are
mentioned.

atha śubhāśubhasvapnaparīkṣā tatra duḥsvapnalakṣaṇāni

svapneṣu nagnānmuṇḍāṃśca raktakṛṣṇāmbarāvṛtān vyaṅgāṃśca
vikṛtān*kṛṣṇān*sapāśānsāyudhānapi badhnato nighnataścāpi dakṣiṇāṃ
diśamāśritān mahiṣoṣṭrakharārūḍhānstrīpuṃso yastu paśyati sa svastho
labhate vyādhiṃ rogī yātyeva pañcatām 16

If a healthy person sees any of the following kinds of men or women in a
dream, then he will become sick, and if already sick, he will pass away:
naked people, bald people, people dressed in red and black clothes,
cripples, misshapen people, blacks, people with snares or weapons,
people tying up or murdering others, people located in a southerly
direction, or riding buffaloes, camels, or donkeys.

--
Professor Dominik Wujastyk* <http://ualberta.academia.edu/DominikWujastyk>
Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity

<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/goog_1525257691>
​sas.ualberta.ca​