[INDOLOGY] How bhagavAn is written in devanagari manuscripts and printed editions

Nityanand Misra nmisra at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 04:53:26 UTC 2016

The claim sounds dubious. The use of space itself is a much later
development in manuscripts. Gita Press, arguably the gold standard in
publishing Hindu scriptures for many decades, uses श्रीभगवानुवाच (and not
श्रीभगवान् उवाच) throughout in the Bhagavad Gita.

On 1 October 2016 at 23:21, Harry Spier <hspier.muktabodha at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> Firstly happy Navaratri.
>
> Secondly I was told by a good sanskritist that the word bhagavAn is always
> written in devanagari -with a space after it as a sign of respect even if
> it would normally be joined to the following letter in devanagari.  I did a
> quick search of the texts in the Muktabodha digital library and I found
> that was true about 50% of the time.
> i.e.
>
> भगवान् भूतभावनः .............. भगवान् पावकः ................ भगवान्
> दत्तात्रेयो
>
> NOT
> भगवान्दत्तात्रेयो
>
> Can any of the list members tell meif  not joining bhagavAn to the
> following word based on some scriptural statement.
>
> Thanks,
> Harry Spier

Nityānanda Miśra
http://nmisra.googlepages.com