[INDOLOGY] How bhagavAn is written in devanagari manuscripts and printed editions

Harry Spier hspier.muktabodha at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 17:51:28 UTC 2016

Dear list members,

Firstly happy Navaratri.

Secondly I was told by a good sanskritist that the word bhagavAn is always
written in devanagari -with a space after it as a sign of respect even if
it would normally be joined to the following letter in devanagari.  I did a
quick search of the texts in the Muktabodha digital library and I found
that was true about 50% of the time.
i.e.

दत्तात्रेयो

NOT
भगवान्दत्तात्रेयो

Can any of the list members tell meif  not joining bhagavAn to the
following word based on some scriptural statement.

Thanks,
Harry Spier