[INDOLOGY] Diacriticals in unicode, single or multiple glyphs

Harry Spier hspier.muktabodha at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 18:24:50 UTC 2016

Dear list members,

Dominik said:

each SARIT file notes that the encoding is IAST, and notes where that
> differs from the ISO standard.
>
> . . . . .. . .

> (The International Alphabet of Sanskrit Transliteration
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Alphabet_of_Sanskrit_Transliteration>).
> IAST differs in small ways from ISO 15919, but is preferred by most working
> Sanskrit scholars.

The link given on the SARIT page  is to the Wikipedia IAST page .  This
wikipedia  IAST page lists the differences between ISO 15919 and IAST but
it has major errors.  It says ISO 15919 uses e and o with macron over it
where IAST uses e and o.  This is incorrect.  ISO 15919 agrees with IAST in
usage of e and o in transliterating devanagari.

Note the ISO 15919 wikipedia also has this error.  It says to use e and o
with macron where the actual ISO document says to use e and o without
macron.

I've checked the actual ISO 15919 document.

Thanks,
Harry Spier