Re: [INDOLOGY] Vālmīki’s first śloka

Luis Gonzalez-Reimann reimann at berkeley.edu
Sun Nov 20 05:12:22 UTC 2016

Dear David,

If what you are suggesting is that because Rāma is supposed to have
lived in Tretā, that implies that the language can be older, the
argument doesn't work. The yuga system only appears in India around the
beginning of the common era. In addition, the placement of Rāma in Tretā
appears only once in Vālmīki, and that is in the second part of the
Uttarakāṇda, which is late. The Uttara, of course, is the one just
published. Later versions of the /Rāmāyaṇa/ -as well as some Purāṇas-
reinforce that placement, but it is all a later development, after the
/Vālmīki Rāmāyaṇa/.

Unless I misunderstood you.

Luis

_____