[INDOLOGY] Who in Bonn in 1914 would have wanted to see this manuscript?

Elliot Stern emstern at verizon.net
Tue Nov 15 18:54:39 UTC 2016

I considered the possibility of a request for Th. Stcherbatsky some months ago. The account of Stcherbatsky’s life and career at http://www.orientalstudies.ru/eng/index.php?option=com_personalities&Itemid=74&person=242 mentions that he mostly read mīmāṃsā treatises in Varanasi during a trip to India in 1910-1911. This report, together with the report in the same article that he began teaching at the Department of Sanskrit in St. Petersburg University in 1900, seemed to me to make it unlikely that he would have asked his former teacher in Bonn to ask for the manuscript on his behalf. He would have in my opinion asked for it on his own. Stcherbatsky mentions having looked at manuscripts in the then library of the Queen’s College while in Varanasi, but he does not mention having looked at the nyāyakaṇikā manuscript (A short report on the trip to India, in Harish Chandra-Gupta, translator, Further Papers of Stcherbatsky, Calcutta, 1971, pages 3-8).

I recall having read "Über die Nyāyakaṇikā des Vācaspatimiśra und die indische Lehre vom kategorischen Imperativ", in: Beiträge zur Literaturwissenschaft und Geistesgeschichte Indiens. Festgabe Hermann Jacobi zum 75. Geburtstag (11.2.1925), dargebracht von Freunden, Kollegen und Schülern, ed. by Willibald Kirfel. Bonn, 1926, S. 369-380. many years ago. I cannot remember if I have a xerox copy. If a list member can provide a pdf, I will be most grateful.

I looked at Stcherbatsky’s Buddhist Logic, but failed to find any reference to his interest in a manuscript of nyāyakaṇikā. He used the printed edition that appeared before his 1910-1911 trip to India.

Elliot M. Stern
552 South 48th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19143-2029
United States of America