[INDOLOGY] bhakti

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 09:53:35 UTC 2016

Yes, Indian Astrology or Bharateeya Astrology or any other term would have
been good. I agree. I am not here to justify the term Vedic Astrology. I
was trying to clarify only that the qualifier Vedic serves the purpose of
distinguishing it from Western Astrology.

Thanks Martin for giving the lead, " the term was coined in North America
in the 1980s and then exported to India, where it first appeared in the
1990s." for those who might want to see who of all did coin this wrong or
right term.

It would be an interesting study to see how many terms all over the
world, the meanings of  the titles of categories are not very much the same
as the abhidhEyArthas /mukhyArthas of the words in the titles. What you
call Chinese or Japanese could have contributions from India What you call
American could have contributions from pre-colonial America and many  parts
of the world. I guess there must already be very good studies on such an
obvious and easily imaginable topic.

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 1:58 PM, Martin Gansten <martin.gansten at pbhome.se>
wrote:

> To me, the really interesting phenomenon is when Tājika, which in its own
> source texts admits to being of *mleccha *or *yavana *origin and based on
> 'Persian-language' (actually, almost exclusively Arabic) works, is claimed
> as a branch of 'Vedic astrology'.
>
> Patrick, I'd be very interested to hear more about your exchanges with
> 'Vedic astrologers' at some point. To the best of my knowledge, the term
> was coined in North America in the 1980s and then exported to India, where
> it first appeared in the 1990s.
>
> Martin Gansten
>

> Den 2016-11-09 kl. 09:10, skrev Valerie Roebuck:
>
> I prefer the expression ‘Indian Astrology’, since the tradition was
> certainly not restricted to Hinduism either.
>
> Valerie J Roebuck
> Manchester, UK
>
> On 9 Nov 2016, at 00:27, patrick mccartney <psdmccartney at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Robert,
>
> The term 'Vedic astrology' is certainly interesting. I have been
> contacting astrologers in the West who use this term on their websites.
> Their responses as to what they actually mean by it are revealing of a
> certain discomfort and cognitive dissonance. One particular respondent said
> they did not like the term but it was something of an 'industry standard',
> so not using the term was counter productive to their own vocational
> interest. They also said that 'Hindu astrology' sounded even 'less
> authentic'. This is while knowing that the predictive aspects of 'Vedic
> astrology' developed well past the Vedic period.

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )