Re: [INDOLOGY] Translation of yaṣṭihastaya

Nityanand Misra nmisra at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 07:05:41 UTC 2016

Apologies, I should have been more careful and used the gerund form
*sacrificing* instead of *sacrifice *in my mail. Not that it matters, but
is there a big difference between the two? Monier-Williams seems to use
both synomously, as he lists both forms in the same meaning under इष्टि.
[p= 169,3] [L=29650] f. sacrificing , sacrifice

So Böhtlingk did remove the reference to A 3.3.110 in the second edition,
and the Monier-Williams translation of the original meaning persists even
in the 2008 revision! But why did Böhtlingk still have a meaning for *yaṣṭi*
as *nom. act. von *(*nomen abstractum* from?) *yaj*, instead of removing
the meaning altogether if he was sure that the reading was erroneous? What
does this mean?