Re: [INDOLOGY] MM. Prof. S. Kuppuswami Sastri's saṁskāra name

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan Palaniappa at aol.com
Mon May 9 07:08:16 UTC 2016

It is indeed strange.

Historically, I can think of the case of Mayuravarman of Kadamba dynasty who was a brahmin known earlier as Mayurasarman as given in the Talagunda inscription. But in the case of Kuppuswami Sastri’s ancestors, there does not seem to be any such royal background for the males.

So I had thought of two possibilities.

One of them was the option 2 of Dr. Paturi. Indeed, according to the obituary, the ancestors of Kuppuswami Sastri had migrated from Kerala. In the matrilineal Kerala, the child born to a Brahmin father and Kshatriya female would have grown up in the mother’s household and not in the brahmin agraharam or Nambudiri Illam. But due to some unique circumstance, if the father and son were to move to mostly-patrilineal Tamil Nadu, could the son have been accepted as a Brahmin?

The second simpler possibility is of course, Venkatavarma is typo for Venkatasarma.

Regards,
Palaniappan