Re: [INDOLOGY] MM. Prof. S. Kuppuswami Sastri's saṁskāra name

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Mon May 9 02:02:09 UTC 2016

1. The two cases , that of Prof. Deshpande being asked to add S'arma to his
name Madhava during his upanayana samskaara and the name of Venkatavarma
being a totally different name than the name Kuppuswami Sastri seem to be
two different conventions.

2. 'Varma' being in the community-indicating  name-ending of the son of a
Brahmin father is possible in a matrilineal Keralite family system that
prevailed till recently in Kerala, if the mother in that case is from
a Varma ('Kshatriya') lineage.

3. But the case of Sri Kuppuswami Sastri doesn't seem to be even that. Is
'varma' a name ending separated from the part Venkata in this case ? The
concept of 'samskaara name' in this case seems to be intriguingly strange.

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 3:39 AM, Madhav Deshpande <mmdesh at umich.edu> wrote:

> Dear Palaniappan,
>
> This is interesting.  At my Upanayana ceremony in Pune, when I was 8 year
> old, I was told to say the following greeting to the teacher/priest:  ...
> mādhavaśarmā aham abhivādaye.  The addition of Śarman to my first name was
> supposed to indicate my Brahmin family background.  That added part
> "--śarman" was not used elsewhere.  I have not heard of -varmā as a part of
> the Saṃskāra-name among Brahmins, but there must be regional variations.
>
> Madhav Deshpande
>
> On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 5:53 PM, Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan via INDOLOGY <

>> From: Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan <Palaniappa at aol.com>
>> To: Indology List <Indology at list.indology.info>
>> Date: Sun, 8 May 2016 16:52:08 -0500
>> Subject: MM. Prof. S. Kuppuswami Sastri's saṁskāra name
>> In his obituary of MM. Prof. S. Kuppuswami Sastri, V. Raghavan says,
>> “Kuppuswami by the popular name and Venkatavarma by his Saṁskāra-name, he
>> was the fourth son of Seturama Ayyar…” (New Indian Antiquary, April, 1944,
>> p.17. The link was given by Manu Francis in another post). How common is
>> ‘varma' as a part of the Saṁskāra-name of Brahmins?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Regards,
>> Palaniappan
>>

> --
> Madhav M. Deshpande
> Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
> Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
> 202 South Thayer Street, Suite 6111
> The University of Michigan
> Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1608, USA

Nagaraj Paturi