[INDOLOGY] Sunrise in the West & twelve dandas

Lubomir Ondracka ondracka at ff.cuni.cz
Tue May 3 18:54:35 UTC 2016

That confuses me too. You are right, normally a day (and its counting) should start with the sunrise. But then the 12th daṇḍa would be around 11 am and the sentence "And people, thinking the night is over, started their home chores" would not make good sense.

It is more simple to understand it as: "And people, thinking the night is over, [although the Sun rose up in the west,] started their home chores" So it rose up in usual time, but at unusual place. And since daṇḍa is definitely 48 minutes, to start with the first daṇḍa at midnight fits well. But it is just my construction, I have no evidence for it.

It would be useful to see the original text.

Lubomir