[INDOLOGY] Total-am

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Thu Mar 3 03:18:28 UTC 2016

Reminds me of someone in Pune talking to a vegetable seller in Sanskrit:
 हे भाजिवालि, भाजिं देहि।  The lady selling vegetables could make out भाजी
दे, "Give me vegetables", and probably thought the speaker was some South
Indian fellow.

Madhav Deshpande

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 9:49 PM, patrick mccartney <psdmccartney at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>

> I have made a short film titled: *Total-am*
>

> *Total-am* is about one afternoon that occurred during the 1-month I
> spent in the 'Sanskrit village' Jhiri in Madhya Pradesh in 2015. On a very
> hot, dry and windy 47c day we went to a neighbouring village to collect
> 300kgs of wheat. Some of the people in this other village also speak
> *some* Sanskrit. The focus of this film is to show how the Sanskrit '-am'
> particle is used to turn loan words from other languages into Sanskrit
> words. Hence the title of the film 'Total-am'. This film also shows how
> Sanskrit lives alongside other languages like Malvi, Hindi and English and
> the scenery of Rajgarh District.
>

> I have uploaded a link to my academia site:
>

> https://www.academia.edu/22718232/Total-am_Filmed_and_Produced_by_Patrick_McCartney
>

> But here is the direct link to youtube:
>

>  https://youtu.be/7tAp8m9RHPU
>

> While it certainly won't get nominated for a BAFTA, nonetheless I hope you
> enjoy it.
>

> Best,
>

> Patrick McCartney

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
202 South Thayer Street, Suite 6111
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1608, USA