[INDOLOGY] 'Snippets from Abhijñānaśākuntala the Musical' by Duncan Standish

McComas Taylor McComas.Taylor at anu.edu.au
Mon Jun 27 23:59:52 UTC 2016

Dear Colleagues

Every year our third-year Sanskrit students read extracts from Kālidāsa's 'Abhijñānaśākuntala'. As part of the program, each student is required to undertake a creative project based on the play. They make the play their 'own' by reinterpreting it in a medium in which they excel. The final project can be in any form -- except an essay.

I am delighted to share one of the most outstanding projects of the year with you, 'Snippets from Abhijñānaśākuntala the Musical' by Duncan Standish. In it, you will hear the king Duṣyanta describing the season of summer and giving instructions to his charioteer as they pursue a deer through the forest. In the third snippet the king describes the beauty of the heroine Śakuntalā.

https://alliance.anu.edu.au/access/content/user/u3936301/shakuntala_project_2016/Duncan_Snippets%20from%20Abhijnana%20-%20The%20Musical.mp3

I am sure Duncan your be delighted to hear from you if you enjoyed his work:  u5688243 at anu.edu.au

I can't help feeling that Kālidāsa himself would be pleased with this.

Yours

McComas

McComas Taylor, Associate Professor
Reader in Sanskrit
College of Asia and the Pacific
The Australian National University, Tel. + 61 2 6125 3179
Website: https://sites.google.com/site/mccomasanu/

Address: Baldessin Building 4.24, ANU, ACT 0200

Spoken Sanskrit in three minutes?<https://vimeo.com/143211561> Go on. Try it!<https://vimeo.com/143211561>
<https://vimeo.com/143211561>