[INDOLOGY] amsala

dermot at grevatt.force9.co.uk dermot at grevatt.force9.co.uk
Mon Jun 27 09:34:26 UTC 2016

Dear Herman,

Thank you very much. I've just looked at Sayana (in Weber's SBr).

He says "because by eating either [cow or ox] the body becomes strong, therefore I would
eat the anna of both".

So Sayana seems to be understanding amsala as "strong", and treating ced as if it meant
"because" instead of "if".

Odd that he should say "anna", because that usually means grain, or else food in general.
The SBr text just uses the genitive, leaving mAMsa or the like to be understood. Perhaps
Sayana was too squeamish to say mAMsa.

With best wishes,

Dermot