[INDOLOGY] amsala

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sat Jun 25 19:59:32 UTC 2016

Hello Dermot and Herman,

At least in Pāṇini's understanding, the words vatsa+la and aṃsa+la are
derived respectively in the sense of kāma "love" and bala "strength,"
sūtra: vatsāṃsābhyāṃ kāmabale (P. 5.2.98).  Thus, for Pāṇini, these words
mean "loving, affectionate" and "strong," respectively.  That meaning for
aṃsala would not fit the Śatapatha passage: aśnāmy evāham aṃsalaṃ ced
bhavati, suggesting that the word had some other meaning making the meat
more edible/desirable, and hence "tender" is a likely contextual meaning.
May be "plump, juicy".

Madhav Deshpande

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 3:43 PM, Herman Tull <hermantull at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Dermot,
>
> I worked on this 30 years ago,​ and I remember asking the exact same
> question. If memory serves correctly (and it may be
> ​unreliable
>  here), I believe Sayana's commentary
> ​is
>  helpful here
> ​ in getting to Eggeling's definition​
> .
>> (I'm away from my library right now, and I cannot check
> ​.​
> )​
>
> ​Herman
>
> Herman Tull
> Princeton, NJ
> On Jun 25, 2016 11:19 AM, <dermot at grevatt.force9.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Can someone help with a bit of brAhmaNa interpretation?
>>
>> Monier-Williams and Mayrhofer both say aMsala means "strong", connecting
>> it with aMsa
>> "shoulder". Mayrhofer adds that it's used mainly with reference to cattle
>> and meat.
>>
>> In xatapatha brAhmaNa 3.1.2.21 Eggeling translates it "tender".
>>
>> The context is a prohibition on eating beef -- apparently not for
>> everyone at all times, but for
>> someone undertaking dIkSA. After an arthavAda justifying the prohibition,
>> YAjnavalkya is
>> quoted as saying "axnAmy evAham aMsalaM ced bhavati."
>>
>> Eggeling: "I, for one, eat it, provided that it is tender."
>>
>> Is there any evidence for a meaning "tender", or is Eggeling taking a
>> liberty to give
>> YAjnavalkya a good punch line?
>>
>> I realise that ancient Indian diet can be a sensitive issue, but the
>> question here seems to be
>> about YAjnavalkya's culinary preference.
>>
>> I'd be grateful for any clarification.
>>
>> Dermot
>>
>> --
>> Dermot Killingley
>> 9, Rectory Drive,
>> Gosforth,
>> Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 1XT
>> Phone (0191) 285 8053

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
202 South Thayer Street, Suite 6111
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1608, USA