AW: [INDOLOGY] suicide as a result of love

Bruno Galasek bgalasek at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 7 01:08:56 UTC 2016

A little story that serves to illustrate how suffering arises from those who are dear, is told as an example for murder and/with suicide out of love/desire/longing in an doctrinally unimposing, but in other respects very interesting, sutta of the Majjhimanikāya, the Piyajātikasuttam (MN 87):

I quote from Bhikkhu Bodhi’s translation of the Majjhimanikāya (Ñāṇamoli, and Bhikkhu Bodhi. 2009. The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Majjhima Nikāya. Boston: Wisdom Publications in association with the Barre Center for Buddhist Studies, pp. 720f.):

22. “And it can also be understood from this how sorrow,

lamentation, pain, grief, and despair are born from those who

are dear, arise from those who are dear. Once in this same

Sāvatthī there was a certain woman who went to live with her

relatives’ family. Her relatives wanted to divorce her from her

husband and give her to another whom she did not want. Then

the woman said to her husband: ‘Lord, these relatives of mine

want to divorce me from you and give me to another whom I

do not want.’ Then the man cut the woman in two and [110] disemboweled

himself, thinking: ‘We shall be together in the afterlife.’

It can also be understood from this how sorrow, lamentation,

pain, grief, and despair are born from those who are dear,

arise from those who are dear.”

(One might perhaps wish to modify the Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi’s rather sanguinary word choice, not least by taking variant readings into account … )

(Pāli, without vv.ll., from Gretil:  <http://gretil.sub.uni-goettingen.de/gretil/2_pali/1_tipit/2_sut/2_majjh/majjn2ou.htm> http://gretil.sub.uni-goettingen.de/gretil/2_pali/1_tipit/2_sut/2_majjh/majjn2ou.htm)

Iminā pi kho etaṃ, brāhmaṇa, pariyāyena veditabbaṃ,
yathā piyajātikā sokaparidevadukkhadomanassupāyāsā piyappa-
bhavikā ti. Bhūtapubbaṃ, brāhmaṇa, imassā yeva Sāvatthiyā
aññatarā itthi ñātikulaṃ agamāsi. Tassā te ñātakā sāmikaṃ7
acchinditvā aññassa dātukāmā; sā ca taṃ na icchati. Atha
kho Sāvatthi8-sāmikaṃ etad avoca: Ime maṃ9, ayyaputta,
ñātakā taṃ10 acchinditvā aññassa {dātukāmā}; ahañ ca taṃ
na icchāmīti. Atha kho so puriso taṃ itthiṃ dvidhā chetvā
[page 110]
110 II. MAJJHIMAPAṆṆASAṂ.
attānaṃ uppāṭesi1: Ubho pecca bhavissāmāti. Iminā pi kho
taṃ, brāhmaṇa, pariyāyena veditabbaṃ, yathā piyajātikā
sokaparidevadukkhadomanassupāyāsā piyappabhavikā ti.

Bruno Galasek-Hul (Dr. des.)

Instructor

Institute of Buddhist Studies (Shin-IBS), Berkeley

1800 Arch Street
Berkeley, California 94709
USA
mobile: +1-203-507-0080