[INDOLOGY] suicide as a result of love

Robert Goldman rpg at berkeley.edu
Mon Jun 6 18:14:39 UTC 2016

Attempted, but unsuccessful suicides because of seemingly unfulfillable desire or lost love are not uncommon in the Sanskrit Drama. One can think offhand of Udayana in the Svapnavāsavadatta, Avimāraka in the well… Avimāraka and Sītā in the Uttararāmacarita
Dr. R. P.  Goldman
Catherine and William L. Magistretti Distinguished Professor in South and Southeast Asian Studies
Department of South and Southeast Asian Studies MC # 2540
The University of California at Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-2540
Tel: 510-642-4089
Fax: 510-642-2409