[INDOLOGY] Mystery manuscripts

Marco Franceschini franceschini.marco at fastwebnet.it
Sun Jun 5 21:26:53 UTC 2016

Dear McComas,

the folio in IMG_2080 to IMG_2082 gives the final part of the last śloka of the Devībhāgavatapurāṇa (12th skandha, 14th adhyāya): varddhayitvāśiṣāṃbācaraṇakamalabhṛṃgo nirjjagāmātha sutaḥ / iti caturddāśāddhyāyaḥ / – sarvvacaitanyarupāṃ […]

It is probably worth noting that the manuscript in your IMG_2069 to IMG_2078 is quite similar to a manuscript of the Devīmāhātmya in the Cambridge University Library (MS-OR-02344), with reference both to the hand that wrote them (strongly influenced by Malayalam script) and to the particular kind of palm leaves used. The Cambridge manuscript has been digitized and is fully accessible: http://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/MS-OR-02344/1 . It was copied by some Nārāyaṇan in 1908: although I wouldn’t go so far as to state that the two manuscripts were written by the same scribe, I’m reasonably sure that your manuscript is the same age as the Cambridge one.

Best wishes,

Marco
---