[INDOLOGY] Caste system and Buddhism

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 16:15:46 UTC 2016

I would still like to know the source of this statement, but it does not
appear to be the Bodhisattva-bhūmi. According to an electronic search of
the digital version, the word pañcaśīla does not even occur in this text.
So it seems that the author of the Bodhisattva-bhūmi did not make any
statement about the pañcaśīla, let alone a categorical statement that a
devout Buddhist may deviate from these precepts.

The digital version of the Bodhisattva-bhūmi (Dutt edition) is available at
the Digital Sanskrit Buddhist Canon website (http://www.dsbcproject.org/),
and also at the GRETIL website (http://gretil.sub.uni-goettingen.de/). Page
image scans of the two printed editions, those by Unrai Wogihara
(1930-1936) and by Nalinaksha Dutt (1966), were posted by me on the web (
http://prajnaquest.fr/blog/sanskrit-texts-3/sanskrit-buddhist-texts/). Only
a few months ago the first complete English translation of the
Bodhisattva-bhūmi was published: *The Bodhisattva Path to Unsurpassed
Enlightenment*, translated by Artemus B. Engle (Boulder: Snow Lion, 2016).

By the way, I compared several pages of this new English translation by
Artemus Engle to the Sanskrit and Tibetan texts, and it appears to me to
have been very carefully made.

Best regards,

David Reigle
Colorado, U.S.A.