[INDOLOGY] Drops of amrita

Lubomir Ondracka ondracka at ff.cuni.cz
Wed Jun 1 08:01:56 UTC 2016

Dear Artur,

yes, I believe that this information is right.

D. P. Dube has studied Prayaga and Kumbhmela in depth and he has published a number of papers and books on this topic. He is a reliable author familiar with all relevant textual sources, thus I would take his conclusion (on four drops of amrta as a late addition) seriously.

As far as I know, all other scholars writing on Kumbhmela depend on his work (e.g. Kama Maclean: Pilgrimage and power, OUP 2008, pp. 87-88; Diana Eck: India: A sacred geography, Harmony 2012, pp. 152-156).

Best,
Lubomir