[INDOLOGY] Sandhi breaks in longer meters

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 14:30:54 UTC 2016

I hardly dare to comment when my teacher, Madhav Deshpande, is on this list
as well, and what little I know I know from him, but.... I recall very well
learning that external sandhi is, according to the grammarians, always
optional.
Because
One
Can
Always
Speak
Like
This
If
One
Wants
To.
In other words, the use of sandhi is a convention, so the question might be
slightly rephrased as: what are the conventions of the poets, and of the
scribes. No?
(Perhaps, as is quite likely, of course, this was implied in the question,
and I should have kept my ideas to myself.
In
Which
Case,
Sorry ;)

Jonathan

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 4:26 PM, Valerie Roebuck <vjroebuck at btinternet.com>
wrote:

> Correction: I meant ‘at the end of one line’.
>
> > I’ve just had a quick look at an edition of the Saundaryalaharī, in
> Śikhariṇī (17 syllables to a line), and sandhi is broken only between half
> verses and whole verses. For example, there's a ś  at the end of one
> half-line followed by a c at the beginning of the next.
>
> Valerie J Roebuck
> Manchester, UK
>
> > On 28 Jul 2016, at 15:07, Harry Spier <hspier.muktabodha at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Dear list members,
> >
> > In the longer sanskrit meters (Vasantatilaka for examplbe 14 syllables
> to a line) is Sandhi broken after each line or only after the half verse
> and end of verse.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Vasishtha

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

copies of my publications may be found at
http://www.buddhismandsocialjustice.com/silk_publications.html