[INDOLOGY] Mind and moon

Valerie Roebuck vjroebuck at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 28 06:45:03 UTC 2016

I think it’s meant to be a bit more profound than a verbal similarity - though of course these were widely thought not to be merely coincidental. We find the same correspondence in astrological texts, too, e.g. in Varāhamihira’s Bṛhajjātaka, Chapter 2 v. 1a, where the seven planets of the ancient world are placed on the macrocosmic man of Time.

kālātmā <> dina-kr̥n <> manas <> tuhinaguḥ <> satvaṃ <> kujo <> jño <> vaco <> jīvo <> jñāna-sukhe <> sitaś <> ca <> madano <> duḥkhaṃ <> dineśātmajaḥ <> /

The Sun [‘Day-maker'] is the self (ātman) of Time, the Moon [‘Cool-rayed’] his mind (manas), Mars [‘Earth-born’] his courage, Mercury [‘Knower’] his speech, Jupiter [‘Life’] his knowledge and happiness, Venus [’White One’] his desire, and Saturn [‘Son of the Lord of Day’] his suffering.

The Moon has a very important place in Indian astrology, but here perhaps it is regarded as representing a less profound (because more changeable?) level of being than the Sun.

Valerie J Roebuck
Manchester, UK