[INDOLOGY] Astrolabes in Udaipur

Dipak Bhattacharya dipak.d2004 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 06:15:18 UTC 2016

16 7 16

Dear Dr. Michel,

I cannot give you information about the artisans. There are tales of
horribly cruel treatment of artisans in India, both traditional and modern,
the thumbs of Muslin makers being cut-off so that Manchester textile
industry came to no harm, of the masons of the Taj being buried so that a
second Taj was not built. Stories are current about some other monuments
too – no one could verify the veracity of the popular beliefs.

All of these could not be true. Not long ago I saw masons coloring marbles
for renovating the Taj. Perhaps they still do, but I have not visited the
Taj for a long time; coloring may be observed in Jaipur too.

I tried to talk with the artisans without much success.

But temples all over India are renovated; gathering information will not be
difficult.

Best

D.Bhattacharya