Re: [INDOLOGY] The usage ‘mātarapitarau’ in Pariśiṣṭaparva (and other works)

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sun Jul 10 12:51:02 UTC 2016

Looking at the line मातरपितराभ्यां च पोष्यमाणः स मानवः quoted from the
Pariśiṣṭaparvan, the first of this line looks metrically defective to me,
and the metrically correct line would probably read मातरापितराभ्यां च.
Assuming this to be the case, the usage मातरापितराभ्यां is identical with
what we find the the RV मातरापितरौ.  The RV also has पितरामातरौ.  Looking
at the RV usages, it appears to me most likely that मातरपितरौ is a further
development of the RV मातरापितरौ, and that it is no wonder that Patanjali
says this is the usage of Udīcām "Northerners."  Most likely, the
developments of the RV usage, itself from this region, survived in that
region.  This is just a speculation.

Madhav Deshpande