[INDOLOGY] glass in ancient India

Dagmar Wujastyk d.wujastyk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 12:48:02 UTC 2016

Thank you, Prof. Bhattacharya. I have just read the article proposed by
Lubomir Ondracka, and it makes reference to Lal's work. Glass beads and use
of glass for pottery glazes seems to have a very long history in India
indeed. However, there was nothing in the article on bottles or glass
vessels, except for an unreferenced claim that glass vessels are mentioned
in the Amarakośa.
The Suśrutasaṃhitā seems to describe glass plates (Sūtrasthāna 46.453), but
the earliest mention of a glass bottle I could find in medical literature
was in the Śārṅgadharasaṃhitā. I am sure it also occurs in alchemical
literature.
With kind regards,
Dagmar Wujastyk