[INDOLOGY] glass in ancient India

Dipak Bhattacharya dipak.d2004 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 12:28:09 UTC 2016

7.6.16

Dear Professor Wujastyk,

Though this is in reply to your mail it does not directly address the
question you raised. Hence  I apologize. Still, what I may point out for
you is that the existence of glass was evidenced in the second level from
below at Hastināpurā dated circa 1100 – 800 BC by B.B.Lal (ASI Annual
Bulletin, No.5 1954-55). There is a discussion on the matter.  I do not
know of anyone having questioned Lal’s dating and finding.

Incidentally I might refer to the earlier views of Karl Hoffmann who
assumed *kāca* to be a borrowed word from OP *kāsa*. I made a long
discussion on the matter in 2004, but that was in Bengali. I have not yet
been able to complete an attempted English translation of the monograph.

I shall be glad if this helped in any way.

Best

Dipak Bhattacharya