[INDOLOGY] Question about a Pali name

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sat Jan 9 14:12:05 UTC 2016

Dear Colleagues,

     In the Pali canonical literature, we come across the word "Mantānī" as
the name of a Brahmin woman.  Her husband is "Gagga", which can be easily
traced to Sanskrit "Garga".  I have been wondering about the Sanskrit
counterpart of the name "Mantānī".  If one assumes something like
"Mantrāṇī" in (vernacular?) Sanskrit, that would correspond to Pali
"Mantānī".  The other possibility I was thinking is if Skt. Maitrāyaṇī may
be the counterpart for Pali "Mantānī".   I am not sure about this
alternative, since Skt. "maitra" would correspond to Pali "metta".   The
Pali expression "Mantānīputta" occurs as a characterization of two
individuals, i.e. Aṅgulimāla and Aññākoṇḍañña.  If these twp figures appear
in Sanskrit Buddhist literature, there is a possibility of finding a
Buddhist Sanskrit expression corresponding to Pali "Mantānīputta".  I would
appreciate any suggestions/explanations/conjectures.  Thanks in advance.

--
Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics