[INDOLOGY] amrita

Joanna Jurewicz j.jurewicz at uw.edu.pl
Fri Jan 8 10:17:54 UTC 2016

Dear Artur,

In the RV many adjectives are used as more or less abstract terms, for
example the adjective which refers to cows and dawns (usriya) or to horses
and Soma (hari). Amrta functions in the same way. It refers to Somic
exultation and to the state given thanks to it. It is shared in that there
are those who constantly partake in it (the gods and rsis) and those who
partake in it temporarily (men). The supernatural cognition is conceived in
terms of fight so in that it is fought for. Possibly, there are stanzas
which may imply that it is used in reference to Somic juice (so to the
substance) but this needs checking.

Best,

Joanna

---
dr hab. Joanna Jurewicz, prof. UW
Katedra Azji Południowej /Chair of South Asia
Wydział Orientalistyczny / Faculty of Oriental Studies
Uniwersytet Warszawski /University of Warsaw
ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28
00-927 Warszawa
https://uw.academia.edu/JoannaJurewicz

: