[INDOLOGY] Death's Footprint

George Thompson gthomgt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 17:06:12 UTC 2016

Dear List,

Two additional notes on mr̥tyóḥ padám:

First, thanks to the kindness of Hartmut Buescher, I now have access to a
pdf of my "Pursuit of Hidden Track" paper, and will try to attach it here.

Second, the Thieme paper on Ambrosia is also available in *Indogermaische
Dichtersprache* edited by R.Schmitt for the Wege der Forschung Series, Band
CLXV, 1968.  I have been re-reading it.  This is how Thieme translates
amrta [accent on second syllable] [neuter]: "Leben, Lebenskraft [nicht
"Unsterblichkeit"], heisst also eigentlich "Lebenskraft enthaltend" [p.
114].  Thieme demonstrates that the term amrta, like ambrosia, belongs to
the old IE Dichtersprache.

With best wishes,

George