[INDOLOGY] INDOLOGY Digest, Vol 47, Issue 22

Alex Watson alex.watson at ashoka.edu.in
Wed Dec 21 18:39:41 UTC 2016

> From: Dominik Wujastyk <wujastyk at gmail.com>
> To: Matthew Kapstein <mkapstei at uchicago.edu>
> Cc: Indology List <indology at list.indology.info>
> Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 12:25:00 -0700
> Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] khyā/khyāti
>
> On 20 December 2016 at 04:41, Matthew Kapstein <mkapstei at uchicago.edu>
> wrote:
> ​...​
>

> Me too.  ​I would also be interested in any studies of the presumably
> related term *prasaṅkhyāna* (= "*sattvapuruṣānyatākhyāti*" PYŚ) that is a
> keyword in the *Pātañjalayogaśāstra*. ​ I am aware of
>
> Endo, K. Mayeda, S.; Matsunami, Y.; Tokunaga, M. & Marui, H. *(Eds.) "*Prasaṃkhyāna
> in the Yogabhāṣya" in *The Way to Liberation: Indological Studies in
> Japan,* Manohar Publishers & Distributors, 2000, 75-89.
>

> ​Best,
> Dominik​

Dear Dominik

See pp. 74–80 of Jonathan Bader's *Meditation in Śaṅkara's Vedānta*.
There he
- contrasts *prasaṅkhyāna* with the almost synonymous term *pratisaṅkhyāna*
(famously the topic of the third chapter of Śaṅkara's *Upadeśasāhasrī*)
and
- discusses the use of the term *prasaṃkhyāna* in classical Yoga, Advaita
Vedānta and Kālidāsa.

*khyāti* in *sattvapuruṣānyatākhyāti* of course has a different sense from
that which it has in the *khyātivāda* that Matthew was speaking of:
erroneous cognition in the latter, correct cognition/discernment in the
former.

Best
Alex
--