[INDOLOGY] Does chandrabindu occur in Hindi

Tyler Williams tylerwwilliams at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 21:17:57 UTC 2016

Dear Harry,

There are a couple of ways of doing the transliteration. The challenge is
that, in both precolonial manuscripts and in print editions, a single bindu
(without the candra) can denote both a nasalized vowel sound, OR a nasal
consonant that is the first member of a consonant conjunct. For example,
अंत can represent both अँत and अन्त. (If the Devanagari doesn't come
through: aṁt (where ṁ is a single bindu) can represent both aṃt (where ṃ is
true vowel nasalization) and ant (where n is the dental nasal in a conjunct
with t).

Consequently, transliteration schemes diverge. Some scholars (myself
included) prefer ṁ for the 'ambiguous' bindu, ṃ for the proper candrabindu
(vowel nasalization), and the appropriate nasal consonant (ṅ, ñ, ṇ, n, m)
for, well, the nasal consonant. But there is another way that is also quite
popular (and perhaps more elegant): it is to place the tilde over the
nasalized vowel. This is certainly a simpler solution. But when dealing
with pre-modern texts, it can sometimes obscure aspects of the originals,
and make automatic scansion more difficult. (Because pre-modern poets often
used the ambiguity of vowel nasalization/nasal consonants to play with
meter.)

Best,
Tyler