[INDOLOGY] UC Davis Graduate Group in the Study of Religion

Archana Venkatesan avenkatesan at ucdavis.edu
Tue Dec 13 13:46:18 UTC 2016

Dear Colleagues,

I am posting this on behalf of Flagg Miller, the Graduate Director of the
Graduate Program in the Study of Religion at UC Davis, and also the
Graduate Adviser.

Please do encourage your students to apply to our program.

Thanks,
Archana

------------

Dear Colleague,

I am the Graduate Adviser for the Study of Religion doctoral program at the
University of California, Davis. I am writing to encourage you to share
this information about our exciting new Ph.D. program with your
undergraduates and master’s students.

Our recently launched graduate program in the Study of Religion includes
over thirty faculty, and offers an intensive, interdisciplinary curriculum
that focuses on Asian, Mediterranean, and American regions.  In addition to
their regional specialization, students also pursue a thematic
specialization in one of the following areas:
•             Body & Praxis
•             Language, Rhetoric, & Performance
•             Modernity, Science, & Secularism
•             Theory & Method
•             Ethics & Human Rights
•             Visual Culture, Media, & Technology

We also offer our students the opportunity to pursue a Designated Emphasis
(graduate minor) in a number of fields, such as Classics, Critical Theory,
Human Rights, and Studies in Performance & Practice.

Our program is committed to mentoring our students through all phases of
their graduate career. In addition to a rigorous curriculum, we also offer
extensive Professional Development Opportunities.  We are equally committed
to offering financial support to our admitted students.

The application deadline for fall admission is *January 15th*.

Thank you for your assistance spreading the word about our graduate
program. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at
religion at ucdavis.edu.  For more information, our website is:
http://religiongradgroup.ucdavis.edu/

Sincerely,
Flagg Miller
Graduate Adviser
Study of Religion
University of California, Davis

--
*"When writers die they become books, which is, after all, not too bad an
incarnation."*  Jorge Luis Borges

Archana Venkatesan

*Chair, Department of Religious StudiesAssociate Professor, Comparative
Literature & Religious Studies*
Phone: 530-754-2821 (Office)

<https://religions.ucdavis.edu/giving/religions-india-initiative-previously-india-studies-initiative>
Religions of India Initiative at U.C.Davis
<https://religions.ucdavis.edu/giving/religions-india-initiative-previously-india-studies-initiative>
In Andal's Garden: Art, Ornament and Devotion in Srivilliputtur (Marg, 2015)
<http://marg-art.org/p/686/andal-srivilliputtur-goddess-archana-venkatesan-crispin-branfoot>
A Hundred of Measures of Time: Nammalvar's Tiruviruttam (Penguin, 2014)
<http://poetry.sangamhouse.org/2014/06/archana-venkatesan/>
The Secret Garland: Antal's Tiruppavai and Nacciyar Tirumoli (Oxford
University Press, 2010/Harper Collins, 2015)
<https://harpercollins.co.in/book/the-secret-garland-andals-tiruppavai-and-nacciyar-tirumoli/>