[INDOLOGY] Meru, the Sanskrit-speaking crocodile

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Mon Dec 12 15:50:51 UTC 2016

Thanks to all those who sent me messages of congratulating Meru, my
grandson.  His one Sanskrit sentence as a crocodile in the drama, as he
told me on phone, was: मम चर्मण: बहुद्रव्याणि भवन्ति.  Different children
had roles of different animals, each claiming to be superior, and objecting
to the claims of other animals.  In the few seconds of video I have seen,
after the crocodile says the above sentence, another character comes
forward and says: किन्तु भवान् गिरति.  Clearly, the children had a lot of
fun, and Meru was excited after his performance, saying "I did a great
job!"

Madhav Deshpande