[INDOLOGY] Wooden archetypes of Buddhist cave temples?

John Huntington john.darumadera at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 13:02:32 UTC 2016

Dear list friends,

I have studied and thoroughly documented photographically the caves in
question. The earliest major caves e.g. Pitalkhora and Bhaja are such
detailed copies of wooden models that even joints in the wooden prototypes
are are carved into the stone. Further the walls in the vihara at
Pitalkhora were carved way too thin for stone and collapsed. Details of
wooden architecture, e.g. arched bracketing, continue until the end of the
fifth century.

As an occasional wood worker (mostly furniture), I can see exactly how the
wooden structures prototypes would have been built.

Unfortunately for the author, the rafters at Karle are actually wood
(presumably teak)

this can easily be seen at:
http://mleary.idv.hk/galleries/india-caves-karle/ (about 13 photographs
into his list of images)

The joining of slabs of wood to make the the curved beams is clearly
visible (simply they were not bent wood rather butt dado joints). his
entire premise is simply armchair speculation.

John