[INDOLOGY] Help needed with Oriyan palm leaf ms

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 22 15:23:32 UTC 2016

Dear colleague,

Here's a bit more than half of the first line in quick transliteration, not taking the time to think about how certain difficult ak?aras could be understand contextually:

L1. tsas ca parito vrahma?a? s.ta | apas caivapavatsas ca parja?yo 'gnir ditis tatha | ?a??ikana? ca vargo '?am eva k[e] ? ? [rgya]se?ata? | tanmadhye tu vahir dasaddhipada[s]e[?u] sarva[ta] ? a[?a] ? ? ? varsva ? [m]idra? ? ? ? statha | vrahma?a? ...

The hand seems very similar to one responsible for several of the Orissa State Museum manuscripts of the Paippaladasa?hita (among them V/126) that I have described in ZDMG 2003; I forget whether the scribe's name and village are mentioned in one or more of the colophons. I have created script tables for this and other Orissan Sanskrit manuscripts that I can send you once I am back from vacation. I'll be happy to help you some more at that time.

I seem to recall having seen this title in many collections, so it may well be possible to get other (and else damaged) manuscripts of this text.

Best,

Arlo Griffiths