[INDOLOGY] Etymology of vetana 'wages'

Suresh Kolichala suresh.kolichala at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 13:01:47 UTC 2016

Are there good reasons for considering the etymology proposed in
Monier-Williams Sanskrit-English Dictionary as "perhaps a corrupted form of
*vartana*" absolutely untenable?

वेतन [L=44823] [p=0963-b
<http://www.sanskrit-lexicon.uni-koeln.de/scans/MW72Scan/2014/web/webtc/servepdf.php?page=0963>
] *vetana, am,* n. (according to Uṇādi-s.
III. 150. fr. rt. 1. *vī;* perhaps a corrupted form of
*vartana)*
Indo-Aryan is not my area of expertise, but I find *vartana as *found in "
*Vartana-dāna, am,* n. the gift of means of subsistence or wages. *—
Vartana-viniyoga, as,* m. appointment or assignment of means of
subsistence, i. e. of salary, wages, &c. *— Vartanābhāva (ºna-abhº), as,* m.
want of means of subsistence, destitution." is semantically similar to *vetana
*as in "*Vetana-dāna, **am,* n. the paying of wages, hiring. *—
Vetanādāna **(ºna-adº),
am,* n. non-payment of wages."

Aren't there other examples of a > i/e in the environment of consonant
clusters in Old/Middle Indo-Aryan? Isn't it common for *vr̥tti *to
become *vitti
*in Prakrits?

Regards,
Suresh.