[INDOLOGY] Ms colopon from Nepal, need help

Justin Fifield aksobhya.buddha at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 17:17:24 UTC 2016

Dear list,

Many thanks to Michael Witzel, Alessandro Battistini, Manu Francis,
Balogh Dániel, and Jean Michel Delire for their speedy and informed
replies to my query.

As I suspected, the phrase is a string of numbers (bhūtasaṃkhyā).

One can find more details in Salomon, 1998, Indian Epigraphy (p173) and
Kielhorn, "The Epoch of the Newar Era", /Indian Antiquary/ 17.  For the
specific words used in bhūtasaṃkhyā-s, see Bühler's Indian Paleography
(pp.84-86) or Kale's History of Dharmaśāstra vol. 5.1 (pp. 701-703).
See also a blog by Péter Szántó
(http://tibetica.blogspot.hu/2008/02/bhtasakhy.html).

There were a few different suggestions on how to resolve the reading and
the digits, but 952 is the consensus vote:

khacara = nine planets = 9
śara = kāma's five arrows = 5
yaṇa = ??

khacara = 9
śara = 5
yaṇa = yama = 2
Therefore -- 952 NS = 1831-2

khacara = 9
śara = 5
yaṇa = ayana = 2 (sun has two courses)
Therefore -- 952 NS

cara = 1 (an educated guess)
kha = 0
śara = 5
yaṇa = ayana = 2
Therefore -- 1052 NS = 1931-2

I have not seen this manuscript in person.  The contents are a portion
of the Mahāvastu, Senart 2.397.8-3.90.10.  I have no expertise in
Nepalese manuscripts and am a novice Newari script reader, but I would
lean towards the earlier date of 952.  That one seems more likely purely
from a philological standpoint.  And even if the yaṇa digit ends up
changing, it would not change the date very much as the last digit.  If
anyone has any thoughts on the reading or handwriting, please do let us
know.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Justin Fifield